Business Financial Solutions

Free Money Search.

Find unclaimed funds held by the government that might be owed to you.

Find Unclaimed Money

If the government owes you money and you do not collect  it, then it's unclaimed. This also applies to banks, credit unions,  pensions, and other sources. Learn where to look for unclaimed money and  how you can avoid scams related to unclaimed funds.

Where to Look for Unclaimed Money  

Currently,  the government does not have one central website for finding unclaimed  money by name, Social Security number, or state. To find unclaimed money  from the government, start with your state. Then you can check a number  of other sources, such as:

States' Unclaimed Money

  • Search by State – Search your state’s listing of unclaimed funds and property.

Unclaimed Back Wages

  • Unpaid Wages  – If you think you may be owed back wages from your employer, search  the Wage and Hour Division's (WHD's) database of workers for whom it has  money waiting to be claimed. WHD is a part of the U.S. Department of  Labor (DOL).  

Life Insurance

  • VA Life Insurance Funds  – Search the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) for unclaimed  insurance funds that are owed to certain current or former policyholders  or their beneficiaries. Note: This does not include  funds from Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance (SGLI) or Veterans’  Group Life Insurance (VGLI) policies from 1965 to the present.  



  • Tax Refunds – The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) may owe you money if your refund was unclaimed or undelivered.

Banking, Investments, and Currency

  • Bank Failures – Search the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) for unclaimed funds from failed financial institutions.
  • Credit Union Failures – Find unclaimed deposits from credit unions.
  • SEC Claims Funds – The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) lists enforcement cases where a company or person owes investors money.
  • Damaged Money – The Treasury Department will exchange mutilated or damaged U.S. currency.


  • FHA-Insurance Refunds – If  you had an FHA-insured mortgage, you may be eligible for a refund from  the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). To search  the HUD database, you will need your FHA case number (three digits, a  dash, and the next six digits—for example, 051-456789).

Savings Bonds


  • Foreign Claims – U.S. nationals can find money owed to them from foreign governments after loss of property.